The Spaniard has fallen out of favour since the arrival of Jose Mourinho, but is optimistic that his versatility can force a return to the first team
Chelsea's Juan Mata is hoping his ability to play in a variety of positions will see him become a regular starter again at Stamford Bridge.
The Spain international was one of the club's stand-out performers in the past two seasons, scoring 12 goals and providing as many assists in 35 Premier League appearances.
CHELSEA LATEST
14/1Chelsea are 14/1 with William Hill to beat Tottenham 2-0
But he has found himself on the periphery of the first team this season, with new boss Jose Mourinho overlooking the 25-year-old on several occasions, including last Saturday's 2-0 victory over Fulham.
Mata did feature for the side in the 2-0 League Cup triumph against Swindon Town on Tuesday, however, and he is hoping his versatility will earn him a run of starts in order to help him hit top form.
Speaking to The Sun, Mata said: "I've been training hard but it's not the same. You improve your rhythm by playing games.
"I've worked hard and wanted to show everyone that I can play and everything is okay.
"It is easy for me to focus on football and just do what I have to do. The only thing I have in my mind is to keep working, keep training hard, keep improving and keep scoring and making assists. That's what I did.
"I've played in three positions. In the beginning I was playing as a left winger, then on the right and last season as a No.10. I feel comfortable playing in any offensive position.
"It's better if a player can play in lots of positions rather than just one."